3.21.2008

Unassembled

Our office recently moved, and I am using different furniture, so the ergonomics are different, and problematic. So I made this simple request by e-mail a little over three weeks ago:
"The keyboard tray on this desk isn't quite big enough to hold both the keyboard and mouse, which means that the mouse has been on my desktop. Unfortunately, that makes it uncomfortable to use. I've tried moving it around, but it seems the best solution is a wider tray. Can we get one of those?"

Last week, it occurs to me that two weeks have passed and I haven't heard anything about my request, so I send a second e-mail:
"It's been several weeks since I sent this request. Is there an ETA on a new keyboard tray? Please let me know what the status is."

This morning, a box arrived, a brand new "keyboard drawer." I happened to overhear that it was backordered, which explains the three+ weeks that have passed since my first request. But seriously, would it kill someone to reply to an e-mail with "we'll order one right away" or "it's backordered and should be in soon"?

So here it sits in the box. I'm debating how long to wait before I should ask about having it installed. Naturally, being a practical person, I recognize that it does not fix the problem to have the keyboard tray in a box, it needs to be attached to the desk. But if someone overlooks the obvious request for a response in my e-mails, will it occur to them that installation is required?

Copyright 2008 Stapler Tales

No comments: